Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Driving the conflict [The Island]

I was out mowing the yard. It was dry enough, finally, to allow me to get to the back corner of the lot.

Mowing is one of those activities I am able to do and ponder other topics. Today's topic was conflict. In The Island I want a conflict resolution that pits the characters against one another in two-sided situations where the island itself applies leverage to one or the other side. I don't really want GM versus player conflicts but I want the players to feel as though the GM is unbalancing things one way or the other.

These are the points I was mulling over.
  1. A scene is defined by the GM. The players can suggest things but the GM has final say in framing the situation.
  2. A conflict is a two-sided end to a scene. The players pick sides roll against one another.
  3. The GM has a pool of dice to push the conflict one way or the other.
  4. The longer a conflict goes on the more out of control it needs to feel for the players.
At least those are my initial thoughts. I'm sure they will develop in time.

No comments: