Wednesday, October 15, 2008

YouTube Game Design

It's been a while since I've posted but the other day I found this really great game design seminar by John Wick on YouTube. He's the guy behind a bunch of really cool indie press roleplaying games along with materials for 7th Sea and Legend of the Five Rings by AEG.

Last night I watched a string of his videos and was really impressed with the practical info he relates for game design. Though I haven't put much into my game so far I feel it's just spinning wheels, but John Wick's videos have really given me some inspirations. I think I'm going to take another stab at creating a solid foundation for my game starting with the theme. Sure I can come up with mechanics but starting with a cool mechanic seems to get in my way. Maybe starting with theme will get it going in the right direction.

Here's the first video John Wick posted on game design. You should also find practical game play advice in his set of play dirty videos. Have a watch. I hope your gaming grows because of it.



Hopefully I will have another post up here soon with better results on kicking off my game.

No comments: